75 Year Anniversary
1967 marked the 75th anniversary of Connie Maxwell Children’s Home. During that time, the children’s home grew from one cottage to 22 cottages, 12 service buildings, and 12 staff residences. More than 350 children were under care. In 1892, the cost of operation was a little over $7,000 a year; whereas, the budget for 1966 was approximately $500,000. It is estimated that approximately 4,000 children had been served by Connie Maxwell up to this time period.
Twelve years after the Ezell Gymnasium burned down, the Sam Smith Activities Center was constructed and is still utilized today.
In 1972, Dr. Ed Johnson became the first African American social worker employed by Connie Maxwell Children’s Home. Dr. Johnson, who also continued to serve his congregation at Morris Chapel Baptist, served Connie Maxwell for twenty years. He was instrumental in encouraging collaborative efforts between Connie Maxwell, South Carolina Baptists, and the Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention of South Carolina.